8 November, 2000
Waiting to Go
We were scheduled to leave the Windsor Hotel at 5:45am to get ready for our flight. At 4:30 there was a knock at the door and a message that the flight was to be delayed three hours. At breakfast another three-hour delay was announced. But it was not to be. As we were packing up to go, the word came that the flight had been cancelled. We will try again tomorrow.
Apparently, these delays are typical. Gary Clow is a veteran of eight trips to Antarctica. He says that a three-day wait is about normal. Favorable weather conditions at McMurdo are what the flights depend on. Visibility is the most crucial factor. High winds can pick up snow, drastically reducing the ability to see the horizon and the runway.
Contact the TEA in the field at .
If you cannot connect through your browser, copy the TEA's e-mail address in the "To:" line of your favorite e-mail package.